Thursday, 26 January 2017

Me, Being Mummy: Weekly Update #89 Busy Doing Nothin' and First Day at Nursery!

This week has been mainly spent at home. It's been cold... bloody freezing actually. I debated bundling myself and BB up in lots of layers and heading to the local park (almost wrote pub then, ha, wouldn't that be nice!) but just as I was gathering up various jumpers, hats, scarves and thick socks from the various radiators and clothes airers that have lately become forms of unofficial storage, I took a peek outside at the garden and noticed that even the cobwebs were frozen and I abandoned the plan entirely. If even a thin strand of spider silk could catch cold, there was no way I was going to expose us to it for the sake of an hour on the swings. Chances are we would have become welded to them and come home with frost bitten bums!

So, we have stayed inside in the warm. BB has had a persistent snuffle all week even without being out in the cold much, so it was good for him to play with his toys and get long naps plus it gave me a chance to catch up on some work whilst resting my achy foetus filled pelvis.

As much as it's been nice to be at home taking it easy, cabin fever has set in a bit now and we are both chomping at the bit to get out and about to do something. Luckily things are looking to be getting warmer plus PB has a few days off work coming up so we can all get out for some family time and I can have help lifting BB and his luggage about without gritting my teeth through pain and not panic about hurting bump.

We've had a couple of lovely evenings where we had friends over for dinner and I also went out with my girlfriend's for a spa afternoon at the weekend. I spent an hour bobbing about like a cork in a swimming pool (pure weightlessness - felt like heaven!) before munching on cakes and sandwiches and a sneaky glass of prosecco! Which instantly took affect and zonked me out completely... in public. Would like to formally apologise to the fellow guests who had to 'enjoy' their afternoon tea across from the snoring pregnant warthog -I mean, woman - who was laid prostrate and smelling of chlorine on the leather sofas in the sun lounge...

The most important event of this week has been the fact that BB has officially started nursery! He had spent the odd afternoon there before in the summer of last year, whilst I worked on a couple of weddings, but we have signed up for him to go every week now and his time officially started this week. I had a physio exercise class aimed at helping my pelvic pain so PB took him for the session, which was the best thing to have happen because I would have probably been a bit tearful. It's a milestone, another step forward out of babehood and my irrational brain was convinced he would wonder where we were and feel we had abandoned him. Of course, nothing of the sort happend, he just toddled right on in, waved goodbye to his PoppaBear and spent 5 hours enjoying the company of his peers. Success! We are so proud of him.

Additional information and findings from this week:

- Frost is beautiful. I actually think it is more beautiful to look at than snow. Snow encompasses everything wheres frost is literally like a little dusting of Mother Nature's glitter. It can take an ordinary mundane thing like a garden fork and transform it into something magical. Was transfixed by it every morning this week but all the pics I took just didn't seem to do it justice. Was going to venture outside for a closer shot but then remembered my tumble on the decking that time with The Rat Attack!
- A PGP (Pelvic Girdle Pain) Physio Exercise class is actually code for 'Come sit on a bouncy gym ball, chat about different pregnancy and labour topics and get sympathy for being in copious amounts of pain that we neither know the cause of or how to alleviate before doing a few stretches and going home'. I loved the gym ball. I loved the chat and sympathy. I did not like the half arsed stretches I gave and I didn't like them even more when I was home later that afternoon and unable to get away from the pain. Just like any exercise, you get sore and have to tell yourself that theres no gain without pain.
- One session at nursery already brought about change in BB when he got home. He was chattering non stop  (still babble but we respond just the same) and he just looked more grown up. Mannerisms and sense of purpose in what he was doing.. all notably changed. Its amazing! And scary.. pictured him in uni and driving and got emotional. Hormones not helping.
- Sleeping has been hit and miss this week. Mostly miss. One night we got to sleep through. The rest we were up at least once and I am still finding myself having to stay present in the room for him to settle into slumber. He obviously needs the reassurance and support. Which is fine... although my lower back could do with the same to be honest. Leaning over a cot/standing motionless in the room for 15 minutes with a heavy bump and ligaments like shoe strings is bloody tough going. Would bring a gym ball into the room but with BB's obsession with all things that rotate, I'd be there all night!
- Highlight of the week has got to be watching father and son build mega blocks towers together in front of a footie game on the box. I'm not a fan of football but I can appreciate watching the two (soon to be three) men/loves of my life sit and bond over something together. It was lovely to see and made all the better by BB's attempts at connecting his megablocks together. 






Wonky but workable was the theme and each time he successfully added a block he would give himself an applause and giggle at us through pride. What can I say? The kid melts my heart. It may have been cold outside all week, but he truly is our sunshine.




ethannevelyn
DIY Daddy Blog


RachelSwirl

2 comments:

  1. I think you are wise not to go out. I would do the same. I really like the sound of a PGP (Pelvic Girdle Pain) Physio Exercise classes. Why Hitchin doesn't have one... I don't know! lol! Sound like BB is doing really well at nursery. Yes, Uni is not far - but for me - I am just taking a step at a time. I want time to stop is that can be done even for a moment or two.

    Thank you so much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been so cold this last week but the sun is starting to make an appearance now making it seem warmer. You spa day sounds fab I could do with one of those. Thanks for linking up with #TuesdayTreasures

    ReplyDelete